English Curriculum at
Stoke Canon C of E Primary School
The Intent, Implementation and Impact of our English Curriculum
At Stoke Canon C of E Primary School English and the teaching of English is the foundation of our curriculum. Our main aim is to ensure every single child becomes primary literate and progresses in the areas of reading, writing, speaking and listening. The School's scheme for phonics, reading and writing in Foundation, KS1 and supporting lower KS2 pupils is Read, Write, Inc.
- Be able to read fluently by the end of Y2.
- Develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information.
- Acquire a wide vocabulary and understanding of grammar.
- Write clearly, accurately and cohesively adapting language and style for range of contexts, purposes and audiences.
- Develop positive attitudes toward writing.
- To be able to write with a proficient awareness of grammar and punctuation.
Speaking and Listening
- Have the confidence to talk to others about their learning and their ideas.
- Talk about unfamiliar concepts with confidence.
- Become questioning and evaluative talkers, who develop their thinking with evidence and opinion.